|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
Carrigeen (Irish: Carraigín, meaning 'little rock') is a village to the south-east of Mooncoin in County Kilkenny, Ireland. Carrigeen is situated on a hillock within the Suir Valley, contains St. Kevin's Church and belongs to the parish of Mooncoin. There is a primary school and a GAA club in Carrigeen.
Carrigeen is located close to two of Ireland's most ancient villages, Licketstown and Glengrant, which date to Norman times.
Oliver Cromwell recognised the value of the land as he passed under the shadow of the Walsh Hills on his approach to Carrick-on-Suir from New Ross. He is reported to have said, "It is a land worth fighting for".
Carrigeen National School celebrated its centenary in September 2000. Carrigeen is the third school in this area of south Kilkenny. Clashroe and the present community hall adjoining the churchyard were former schools. Carrigeen originally had a hedge school at Portnascully or "Field of the School" where a travelling master would have taught. President Mary McAleese visited Carrigeen National School on 15 April 2003.
Historic landmarks surrounding Carrigeen include Grannagh and Corluddy Castle. Corluddy, or the round hill of the mine, is situated on a hill overlooking the River Suir. This castle was built during the Norman period. Grant, the landlord of Glengrant, lived there.
Bob O'Keeffe, after whom the trophy awarded for the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship is named, was a native of Glengrant, Mooncoin. O'Keeffe became a prominent figure in the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) councils and was president of the association from 1935 to 1938. After his death, the GAA decided to donate a trophy in his memory—the Bob O'Keeffe Memorial Cup. The hurler depicted on the top of the cup is barefooted, which is significant in view of the fact that Bob O'Keeffe originally played in that manner.
Carrigeen GAA club was formed in 1954. Asper Park, the club grounds, was officially opened in 1991 by Paddy Buggy of Slieverue, former President of the GAA. Carrigeen play in black and amber stripes. As of 2008, the club was reportedly spending €500,000 developing its grounds, with the National Lottery putting up €200,000, Kilkenny County Council €100,000, and the club raising the remaining €200,000.
Carrigeen may be one of Kilkenny's smallest clubs but the opening of these fine grounds shows the dedication and spirit that exists in the local community. Many great games of hurling have already been played on these grounds over the past few years and we look forward to many more exciting clashes in the years ahead.
- Burke, Edmund (1833). Annual Register. London: Baldwin and Cradock. p. 132.
- Tait, William (1833). Tait's Edinburgh Magazine. Original from the University of Michigan: W. Tait.
- Burke, Edmund (1833). A Cry to Ireland and the Empire (against the Repeal of the Union, and in Favor of a Legal Provision for the Poor). Original from the New York Public Library: J. Hatchard & Son.